Chelsea Manning to be barred from Australia - DebateIsland Development Environment The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com
frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland Development Environment

Communities

In this Debate

The best online Debate website - DebateIsland.com! The only Online Debate Website with Casual, Persuade Me, Formalish, and Formal Online Debate formats. We’re the Leading Online Debate website. Debate popular topics, Debate news, or Debate anything! Debate online for free!

Chelsea Manning to be barred from Australia
in News

By ApplesauceApplesauce 239 Pts
lol?
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2018/08/30/chelsea-manning-barred-australia/1142016002/
all non-citizens entering Australia must meet character requirements set out in the Migration Act.
"I'm just a soul whose intentions are good
Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood"
The Animals

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
Tie
Margin

Details +

Arguments

• It is strange that in the 21st century there are still visa requirements applied in one First World country to citizens of another First World country. I can understand, say, a French government not trusting a random Ghana citizen to enter their state unchecked... But an American traveling to Australia? Yes, I know, they only need an electronic visa which can be quickly applied for online, without the need to go to the embassy, but still.

That said, the Australian and New Zealand immigration systems in particular are pretty bizarre, and visa rejections seem to be quite arbitrary and random. I met a person who was accepted into a Master's program in Oakland, NZ, and had a visa rejection and could never begin his studies. At the same time, he had no problem getting visas to anywhere else in the world.